My scanner or desktop scanning application is not working properly.
|Product:||Accelerated Math 2.x, Accelerated Writer, AccelScan|
My scanner or desktop scanning application is not working properly.
Your scanning problem will generally be caused by one of the following:
This article is for Accelerated Math 2.x and Accelerated Writer. If you are using Accelerated Math Renaissance Place (version 3.x), see KB article #5541985. If you are using AccelTest, see KB article #5567703.
Section 1 - if your scanner is not detected:
1) Verify you are using a scanner that is compatible with your program:
2) Be sure to use the original power supply that came with your AccelScan scanner. The power supply is labeled with the AccelScan name on one side. Other power supplies may not have the same input and output voltage causing unknown results with the AccelScan scanner.
The voltage is printed on the bottom of the scanner and the AC end of the cord.
· The 2110 and 2210 power cords have a 24v output.
· The 1100 USB power cord has a 9v output.
3) Make sure your scanner is plugged in and turned on (AccelScan 1100 serial only; the AccelScan 2110, 2210, and 1100 USB do not have an on/off switch) and restart your computer.
4) Disable any security programs such as FoolProof, Fortres, or DeepFreeze, and log into the computer as a local Administrator user.
5) The 1100 USB scanners are not compatible with Intel-based Macintosh OS X systems.
6) If you are using an 1100 USB scanner on a non-Intel Macintosh OS X computer, please see article #6366543 for driver installation information.
7) If you are using an 1100 USB scanner and need to install drivers on a Windows computer or a Macintosh OS 9 computer, please refer to KB article #6368829.
8) If you are using a 2110 USB or 2210 scanner on a Macintosh OS X computer, reinstall the USB driver from the Extras folder on the application CD. If you are using a serial scanner with a USB adapter, verify that you are using the most recent driver for your specific adapter.
9) For 2110 USB and 2210 users on Intel-based Macintosh OS X systems, if you are using Accelerated Math 2.2 through 2.33, please refer to article #5489155 for download and installation directions for an updated AccelScanUSBDriver.kext extension. (Accelerated Math versions 2.1 and lower are not supported on Macintosh OS X computers.)
10) If you are using a 2110 USB or 2210 scanner on Macintosh OS X version 10.5.x with Accelerated Math 2.2 and higher, and receiving the message “System extension cannot be used”, please refer to KB article #7691177.
11) If you are using a 2110 USB or 2210 scanner on Macintosh OS X version 10.5.6 and higher, and the only port available in the software is Bluetooth, please refer to KB article #7655675.
12) If you are using a Macintosh OS 9.1 computer and AccelScan 2110 USB scanner, and receiving “The scanner is not responding” or “Scanner Is Not Working”, please see article #3402564.
13) If you have an older AccelScan 2110 USB scanner (shipped prior to February, 2004) and your scanner is not detected on your Windows computer, please see article #3414952.
14) For other problems recognizing the AccelScan 2110 USB or 2210 scanner, with or without an adapter, on Macintosh computers, refer to the following:
a) My USB scanner is not being recognized in Accelerated Math, please see article #2816499.
b) My serial scanner is not being recognized in Accelerated Math, when using the Keyspan Twin Serial Adapter, please see article #2828410.
c) My serial scanner is not being recognized in Accelerated Math, when using the Belkin Serial Adapter for Macintosh, please see article #2985492.
15) If the scanner preference must be set each time users log in, you might be using Active Directory or the Novell Application Launcher/ZenWorks to copy the Renaissance Learning scanner configuration file (Alsprefs.ini) to each workstation. Either verify this file contains the correct information for the scanners you are using or remove it from the login script.
16) Configure your scanner preferences from within the Management application.
a) Start the Management application and log in as administrator.
c) Next, click Preferences.
d) Highlight Scanner, and click Edit.
e) Some software versions require you to select the scanner model that you have connected to this workstation, others will auto-detect the correct scanner.
Select the port that your scanner is
plugged in to. For example, COM1 (Windows),
17) Delete any occurrences of the ALSPrefs.ini (Windows) or ALS Preferences (Macintosh) on the affected workstation. If you are on a Macintosh OS X computer and are using an 1100 USB scanner, see KB article #6366543 to download a new preference file. For all other operating systems and scanner types, repeat step 16.
18) If the computer has more than one port, try another port. Repeat step 16.
19) If you only have one scanner, try it on another computer. Repeat step 16 on the other computer.
20) If you have more than one scanner, try swapping the working scanner for the one that is not working. Repeat step 16.
21) If you have more than one scanner and have already tried swapping scanners and are still not seeing your scanner detected, try swapping cables from a working scanner. Repeat step 16.
Section 2 - if your scanner is detected, but does not read the scan card:
If your scanner is not reading the card properly, you may receive one of the following messages when scoring cards:
Follow these troubleshooting steps:
1) You should always try a card for more than one student to assist in troubleshooting. For any affected student, check within the software to be sure the form number is valid and the assignment has not yet been scored. (Accelerated Math and Accelerated Writer do not allow rescoring student work using the scanner.) If the form number is not showing at the bottom of the Assignment Book screen when you select a student name, the assignment was probably scored but the TOPS report did not print, perhaps due to a printer error. Highlight the student’s name and click the Reports button on the left. Select TOPS and click Preview. Choose the assignment and click OK to preview the TOPS report. Click Print if you would like a printed copy. Then manually print the next assignment using the Print button on the left side of the Assignment Book screen. If you are unable to reprint the TOPS because the assignment is not listed, the assignment may have been deleted after it was printed, or you may be accessing a different data location than when the assignment was printed. Verify your data location by checking the Data Location under School - Preferences.
2) If there is an outstanding assignment number showing at the bottom of Assignment Book, click the Score button on the left side of the Assignment Book screen. Use the keyboard entry method so you can verify the problem numbers. Enter the form number under the Keyboard Score section and click Score. You can click Next through the screens to make sure the problem numbers match with the printed assignment and what is marked on the card, as long as you don’t click Finish or Done. This is a way to verify the child is working on the right assignment and has filled out the card correctly. If you choose Score and see problem numbers the child has not yet received, click Cancel. You will need to reprint the assignment by choosing Reprint from the Assignment Book menu; be sure to choose “Same Problems as the Original Assignment”. If the TOPS report is missing from the previous assignment, you may reprint it using the instructions under number 1.
3) The form number bubbled in on the scan card should not be preceded with or followed by zeros. Bubble in only the exact form number listed on the student assignment beginning on the left side of newer style cards, or the top of old style cards. (See number 9 below on how to differentiate between old and new cards.) If the form number is not filled in correctly, you may receive the message that the assignment has already been scored.
4) Clean your scanner. You should clean your AccelScan 1100 serial scanner twice a month for high-use readers or once a month for low-use readers. Cleaning cards for the 1100 serial scanner are no longer available for purchase. Wet a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and carefully wipe a scan card with it (do not saturate the card) and run it through the scanner. The AccelScan 2110, 2210, and 1100 USB scanners cannot be cleaned using rubbing alcohol or any other liquid. Simply open the scanner and wipe the lens clean with a dry cloth or tissue.
5) If you have an AccelScan 1100 serial scanner, turn the scanner off and then back on.
6) If you have an older AccelScan 2110 USB scanner (shipped prior to February, 2004) and your scanner is plugged into the back of a Macintosh G3 tower, please see article #3414952.
7) Edit the scanner settings in the Management application and change the sensitivity. Try setting the sensitivity to more or less sensitive.
8) Verify that you are using the appropriate scan cards.
Accelerated Math has two types of scan cards. The original Accelerated Math cards used distracters A through E and had the Form Number written vertically. The newer style cards have distracters A through D and have the Form Number written horizontally.
· In Accelerated Math 2.0, you can only use the AccelScan 1100 serial scanner with the original cards.
· In Accelerated Math 2.02 and above, you can use the AccelScan 1100 serial scanner with either scan card, or the AccelScan 2110 and the 1100 USB with only the new cards.
9) If you have verified you are using the appropriate cards, copy the information from the card receiving the message to another card from the same pack.
10) If storage conditions are less than ideal, try a card from a new pack.
11) If you are only receiving the error on some workstations, use the Management program on those workstations to verify the data location. If the location is correct, delete any occurrences of the ALSPrefs.ini (Windows) or ALS Preferences (Macintosh) on the affected workstation. If you are on a Macintosh OS X computer and are using an 1100 USB scanner, see KB article #6366543 to download a new preference file. For all other operating systems and scanner types, follow step 16 in the top section of this article.
12) Try to scan an assignment in Sample data to eliminate a corrupt database. If you can scan an assignment using the Sample database, switch your data location back to your live data and run Data Doctor in Accelerated Math.
What to do if your problem is still not resolved:
If the steps above do not resolve the issue, you will need to contact Technical Support with the scanner’s serial number.
NOTE: If you purchased an AccelScan 1100 scanner to use with applications other than Renaissance Learning, they may need to configure the scanner properly for your specific application. You may contact Chatsworth directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Accelerated Math 2.x, Accelerated Writer, AccelScan are trademarks of Renaissance Learning, Inc. and its subsidiaries, registered, common law, or pending registration in the United States and other countries.|